FOUNDER OF VSR & NVR

VSR COLLEGE OWES ITS EXISTENCE TO SRI NANNAPANENI VENKATRAO

1page_img1Late Sri Nannapaneni Venkatrao, an impeccable politician, a socialist, a humanist and the God-father of the downtrodden served as the Chairman of Tenali Municipality for three terms. He was the youngest socialist chairman of India, a politician par excellence, a superb player of Contract Bridge and a champion of the downtrodden sections . Tenali famous as Andhra Paris did not have even a single educational institution of higher learning even in late 1940s. The poor especially the weaker sections of Tenali and Repalle Taluqs were unable to go for higher education due to lack of an institution. Nannapaneni's conviction that upliftment of the poor and disadvantaged sections is possible only by means of providing higher education to them resulted in the establishment of VSR College in 1951. Mustering strength in every way from different angles, he constituted The Tenali College Committee, Tenali with people committed for the cause of education. After crossing the infantile hurdles, it began to grow by leaps and bounds and witnessed many fast phases of progress and it became a prestigious institution. Generations of students remember Sri NVR the various Presidents Sri G.Ranganayakulu Chowdary, Sri.P.Sree Ramulu, Sri V.Seetharamaiah, Dr.K.Veeraiah, Sri T.Jagan Mohan Rao, Sri B.Rama Kotaiah, Sri K.Venkateswara Rao and Secretaries Sri A.Ahobal Rao, Sri A.Dharma Rao Sri N.Mohan Das. The sudden demise of Nannapaneni proved a havoc and the college was renamed VSR and NVR College in recognition of the services rendered by Sri NVR in the field of education. In 25 years, it became the second best in the state strength-wise, establishment wise and placement of students wise.

Infrastructure

VSR and NVR College is one of the biggest colleges in the state with its three storied buildings, an auditorium with the latest equipment which can accommodate 1000 members, a Gymnasium, an Indoor stadium, Seminar hall with AC provision, well equipped labs, a spacious Library with thousand of books on various subjects, a vast playground with provision for Cricket and Tennis games, two separate hostels for Boys and Girls, an extension counter of Central Bank, cycle stand, Cement road, planked by Royal palms and beautiful gardens with Bharatha Matha and Mathru Murthy statues, all enclosed by compound wall on four sides. Under the leadership of the first Principel, an able and experienced administrator late Sri S.P. Ragland many staff members like Kalaprapurna Konduru Veera Raghavacharyulu, Sri N V Prasada Rao famous as a man of letters known as Hitha Sri, Talluri Nageswara Rao, short story writer and novelist, Sri G.V. Krishna Rao, a well known writer and critic, Sri M.D Nafizuddin , a writer of noble note with the pen name Sowjanya , Mrs Lalitha, known as Volga and many committed lecturers worked with all devotion and enhanced the image of the institution.